Elegant European style opera house with contemporary accents
Seats 1123; 500+ in orchestra and the remainder in 27 boxes of various sizes on 3 levels
- Stage measures 100ft x 45ft, including wing space, with a section on a hydraulic lift for flexible space use
- Professional level theatrical sound and light systems; 29ft rear projection cinema screen
- Front projection to the cyc and other AV available
- State of the Art rigging system for creative stage designs
- Perfect for performances as well as large meetings, announcements, or awards ceremonies
- Video recording system with multiple cameras available
Download the Rental Interest Form (PDF)
View Technical Information for Merchant Hall
Gregory Family Theater
Black Box style flexible theater space with usable balcony
- 4,400 square feet of open space
- Standard theater set-up allows seating for 242 (maximum; with an additional 50 seated in the balcony)
- Seats 300 for dinner or holds 425 for standing reception
- 1,800 square feet of additional space on balcony level which overlooks main floor
- Unmatched acoustics and infinite lighting combinations with professional level theatrical lighting, sound and AV systems
- Wooden, sprung floor for dance
- Expo set-up: 25 (6’ tables)
- Perfect for meetings, training sessions, trade shows, receptions, and banquets
Gregory Family Theater Specification Sheets
View Technical Information for Gregory Family Theater
Didlake Grand Foyer
Beautifully appointed, technically equipped and unlimited uses
- 7,300 square feet of flexible space
- 2 Story Foyer with second floor art gallery
- Acoustically sound, built-in accent lighting and a two-story glass front for plenty of natural light
- Expo set-up: 25 (6’ tables)
- Seats 100 for catered seated and accommodates up to 700 for standing receptions (500 on the main floor and 200 in the second floor art gallery)
View Technical Information for Didlake Grand Foyer
Buchanan Partners Art Gallery
The Buchanan Partners Art Gallery on the second floor of the lobby serves as a focal point to showcase works by local and regional visual artists on a rotational basis and adds yet another artistic element to the Didlake Grand Foyer. The Gallery space is available to rent for events and holds 150 for a cocktail hour or 100 for a sit-down meal. The space also works as a training or meeting area for 80. (Visual artists interested in presenting in the Gallery should contact Jeffrey Kenney, Gallery Director at email@example.com)
View Technical Information for Buchanan Partners Art Gallery
Lovey Hammel Lounge
This intimate space offers comfortable seating in a relaxed and quiet setting making it ideal for luncheons, meetings and presentations.
The Lovey Hammel Lounge is equipped with a built-in projector screen, bar area with sink and refrigerator and a private bathroom.
- Maximum Capacity: 50
- Dining Setup/Seated Banquet (Maximum): 20
- Standing Reception (Maximum): 50
View Technical Information for Lovey Hammel Lounge
UVA Health Rehearsal Room
The UVA Health Rehearsal Room offers an excellent space for your group's rehearsals or casual space for a meeting or event.
- Room Dimensions: 37' x 30'
- Orchestra rehearsal (Maximum): 65
- Seated Banquet (Maximum): 80
- Standing Reception: 125
- Classroom: 32 (6’ tables)
View Technical Information for UVA Health Rehearsal Room
EDUCATION AND REHEARSAL WING
Jacquemin Family Foundation Rehearsal Hall
This space hosts rehearsals, recitals, lectures, receptions, and small ensembles and is the precise floor size of the Merchant Hall stage, allowing for the staging of full-scale rehearsals. Includes:
- Flexible seating with 145 padded theater seats on collapsible risers
- Fully outfitted acoustic treatments with theatrical lighting and sound systems
- Beautiful wooden, sprung floors for dance
View Technical Information for Jacquemin Family Foundation Rehearsal Hall
Ballard Postma Studio
This space is designed as a dance rehearsal studio but can also host classes, lectures, rehearsals, and receptions and is the precise footprint of the Gregory Family Theater, allowing for the staging of full-scale rehearsals. Includes:
- Sprung wood floor with permanent dance flooring
- Floor to ceiling purple velvet curtains with one mirrored wall
- 20’ tall windows for natural light
View Technical Information for Ballard Postma Studio
Classroom 1 and Classroom 2
This space accommodates classroom learning, meetings, and small ensemble rehearsals.
- Electronic blackboard/smartboard system in each room
- Windows with natural light
View Technical Information for Classroom 1 and Classroom 2
Small Practice Rooms
- Parr Family Practice Studio (A)
- Koko H. Beetle Practice Studio (B)
- Practice Studios E & F (One room is still available to be named!)
These spaces are designed for private instruction and individual practice and feature a Steinway & Sons upright piano in each room. Suitable for 1-2 persons.
View Technical Information for Small Practice Rooms
Large Practice Rooms
- Micron Practice Room (C)
- Donald E. Coulter & Rosemary T. Enright Practice Room (D)
These rooms are designed as private teaching spaces, rehearsal spaces for small ensembles, and each features a Steinway & Sons baby grand piano. Suitable for up to 5 persons.
View Technical Information for Large Practice Rooms
Paul B. Ebert Performance Plaza
The Paul B. Ebert Performance Plaza is located outside along the tree line adjacent to the Hylton Center. This small outdoor space is flexible and suited to intimate, casual performances and events.
Bennett, Atkinson, and Associates P.C. Foyer
The Bennett, Atkinson, and Associates P.C. Foyer is a new lobby entryway for students and artists to access the Education and Rehearsal Wing. Its large and open design is ideal for collaborative events. Facing the rear parking lot, this space can be used with others in the Education and Rehearsal Wing.
James H. Ballard Jr. and Captain Curtis R. Ballard Vestibule
This space extends the existing Didlake Grand Foyer into the new Education and Rehearsal Wing, and is ideal for receptions and informal performances. The space features a commissioned art piece by American realist Nathan Loda, commemorating the Hylton Center’s Veterans and the Arts Initiative. There is a 20’ Sky Door that can be opened between the lobby and the Large Rehearsal Hall.